As the holiday season is upon us, bringing with it all kinds of sugar dreams which can beget dental nightmares, it’s not a bad idea to brush up on your brushing techniques. Brushing, like any habit, can be good or bad. It’s a daily chore, so it’s easy to slide into a lazy routine that’s not benefiting your dental health as much as you think.
Here are some quick and easy reminders to get the most out of your brushing routine:
- BE SURE TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT BRUSH: The Ideal brush is one with soft bristles, which will remove plaque effectively without being too rough on your teeth and gums. A toothbrush with a small head is also advisable so that it fits well in your mouth and can get to those hard-to-reach places.
- THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER: Aim to brush your teeth two to three times daily, but no more! Twice is probably ideal to keep your teeth healthy without overdoing it. Brushing too much can damage gums and wear away your tooth enamel.
- USE A SMALL AMOUT OF TOOTHPASTE: A pea sized amount works just fine. Remember, the actors in television commercials who squeeze a big blob on there are just trying to sell more paste. You don’t need to cover the whole brush!
- DON’T BRUSH TOO HARD: Brushing too hard can push back your gums and damage your teeth. It’s fairly easy to remove plaque, so a gentle touch will do it.
- LET IT GO: That ubiquitous earworm from FROZEN provides good advice as far as replacing your toothbrush. After 3-4 months, it’s time to let it go! By then, the bristles will have worn down considerably and will no longer clean your teeth properly.
Practice these good brushing techniques and you can indulge in holiday treats without getting coal in your stocking (or stains on your teeth). Keep in mind that brushing should not be painful or cause bleeding. If you are experiencing those or any other issues or simple need a dental cleaning and checkup, please give us a call at 617-923-8159. We are here for you.